Hexwood again

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 6 07:19:02 EST 2002

Paul wrote:

> I'm not sure that's true in Mordion's case, though. Perhaps he did
> have an inherent strength, but as I recall it the key factor was the
> support of his friends, counteracting Reigner One's attempts to keep
> his servants alone and afraid.

Hmm. Yes, I agree the support of his friends was important. But both he
himself and his friends seemed to somehow avoid being completely
brainwashed, to retain a sense of their own integrity deep down. At least,
that's how I remember it--maybe my memory is wrong.

> -snip examples on which I have no useful thoughts to offer-
>

> > Then there's the boy who takes the necklace in the very beginning of
> > _The Power of Three_ (for the life of me, I can't remember his name,
> > and I don't have the book with me), who is just cruel and arrogant
> > because that's the way he is.
>
> I'm not sure about this example, either. For one thing, I don't think
> Orban's cruel, just arrogant and a bit stupid. The stupidity could be
> inherent, or not; but the arrogance is definitely a product of his
> upbringing as the next Chief of The Best Mound On The Moor. The other
> significant factor in what he did was his prejudices about Dorigs,
> which again is an upbringing thing.

Thanks for the name--of course, Orban! I seem to remember Orban's arrogance
leading directly to his quite callously killing the Dorig in the beginning.
I agree that his personality might be a product of his status, and of course
there's the prejudice in his ubringing--I'd forgotten about that. Maybe
Orban wasn't such a good example--thanks for pointing that out to me. If I
remember rightly, his sister, brought up with the same prejudices, is not
arrogant and stupid (though of course she's not going to be the best chief).
I'm not trying to suggest DWJ never shows the results of prejudice and
upbringing; quite clearly she often does. I just thought that often there
*doesn't* seem to be any connection--but maybe if there are enough examples
to the contrary I'll be proven wrong.

Ros