On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood -- Catchup)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 5 19:04:09 EST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Anita Graham wrote:

> Dorian wrote:

> > Maree/Beauty does save her "fat little Dad" from death through her
> > association with Rupert/Beast - though he is not endangered
> > *because* of her association with him.
>
> I had the impression that the "fat little Dad"'s cancer did come via
> his association with Marie. Somehow, when Rupert detects it, I
> thought he found an impression of someone horrible, or a taste of
> it, or something. Now I'll have to go and look it up, but I
> definitely thought that maybe Gram White had given him the cancer.

Aha! Pronoun trouble! as Daffy Duck would say.
In the phrase "he is not endangered *because* of her association with
him", the "he" is Maree's Dad and the "him" is Rupert.

But you're right, Gram White did give the cancer to Maree's Dad,
although Rupert doesn't realise this fully until Gram tries to give
Rupert cancer as well.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."