Hexwood again

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 5 18:58:03 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Gross Family wrote:

> I find it interesting that Mordion, despite having being terrorized
> and brainwashed in the most dreadful way, has not been brutalized by
> the experience--that he was able to protect a part of himself during
> the process. Not only that, but it's clear that he hasn't really
> internalized the brutalization at all, not really--he has managed to
> remain a profoundly decent juman being.
>
> Thinking about this led me to realise that this pattern appears
> quite often in DWJ. Although she does recognise that upbringing has
> effects on people, overall she seems to take the view that people
> are the way they are because of some inner temperament or perhaps
> some inherent moral sense.

I'm not sure that's true in Mordion's case, though. Perhaps he did
have an inherent strength, but as I recall it the key factor was the
support of his friends, counteracting Reigner One's attempts to keep
his servants alone and afraid.

-snip examples on which I have no useful thoughts to offer-

> Then there's the boy who takes the necklace in the very beginning of
> _The Power of Three_ (for the life of me, I can't remember his name,
> and I don't have the book with me), who is just cruel and arrogant
> because that's the way he is.

I'm not sure about this example, either. For one thing, I don't think
Orban's cruel, just arrogant and a bit stupid. The stupidity could be
inherent, or not; but the arrogance is definitely a product of his
upbringing as the next Chief of The Best Mound On The Moor. The other
significant factor in what he did was his prejudices about Dorigs,
which again is an upbringing thing.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."