On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood -- Catchup)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 5 18:28:41 EST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:23:10 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> > > I like it too.  Aside from its being subversive (see above) it
> > > illustrates just how much love does to change your perceptions;
> > > Maree, for one, doesn't change much, but Rupert learns to love
> > > what she is.
> >
> > I think you have that the wrong way around.
> >
> > Rupert initially perceives Maree's worst points because he's in a
> > bad mood and she's caused him a lot of trouble (some of which he
> > really caused himself), but once he's calmed down and got to know
> > her better he realises she's a nicer person than he gave her
> > credit for.
> > In other words, he came to love her after his perceptions changed,
> > not the other way around.
>
> I'm talking about his perception of her physical traits, not her
> personality.

Then you're wrong when you say (above) that Maree doesn't change much:
when Rupert meets her for the second time, she's had something done
about her hair, and she's wearing clothes he actually approves of.
How much this matters, I don't know, but the change isn't all in
Rupert's head after he comes to love her.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."