: Re: Polly and Nina (Fire and Hemlock, was Hexwood

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 18:05:11 EST 2002

I said

> >Ivy's appearance was something I'd never really
> >thougth about. My
> >mental image is the later, dressing-gowned, Ivy,
gone
> >to seed. The
> >resemblance of their names has been remarked on
> >before, realising
> >that Ivy was originally a good looking, elegantly
> >groomed woman,
> >gives some plausibilty to the idea that that Ivy
too,
> >was a
> >descendant of the Leroys. It also ties in nicely
with
> >the way that
> >Laurel was able to get at Ivy so well.

and Hallie replied
> Oh, surely Laurel wasn't the *only* nicely groomed
woman in the town? :)
> I think I'm just resistant to your interesting
theory, Ven, as I dislike
> Laurel (and her real-life type) so.
lol
 Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to
> need blood ties to be able to get at people, does
she?  Of course, you
> could say that everyone we see her getting at IS
related, so I've no
> evidence to back up my quibble.

its a perfectly good quibble. However what I forgot to
say is that this theory also depends on the assumption
that Polly got her looks from Ivy and we already
accept the Polly is a similar type to Laurel idea.
Don't we (unsure who "we " is at this point!).

Lots snipped where me and Nat discuss Nina then Hallie
said

> Hmmm again.  I'd tend to agree with vulgar - or at
least I think I
> would.  Brash anyway.

Brash I would agree with. It sounds less judgemental
to me than vulgar. I suspect that my Mum would have
said Nina looked common --- if she'd forgotten that
it's common to say "common".

> >Hallie then said
> >
> >>  Hrmm...   I see what you mean, but I have a hard
> >time fitting her
> >>  very young self's envying Nina's looks with her
not
> >wanting to be
> >>  judged on her physical attractiveness later.
> >
> >Didn't it just mean she had grown up a bit?

snip where Hallie is responding more to Nat

 The bit about Polly's looks I should probably
explain.  I'm *not*
> saying that because Nina wears glasses and has
frizzy hair that I
> think Polly's prettier etc.  It seems to me that
there is a very
> pointed telling narrative here, which sets up the
contrast not only
> on the basis of differentness, but also quite
specifically points out
> Polly as good-looking and Nina as not.  Other people
may read that bit
> quite differently.

I think you are right about Nina at 10, I've always
thought that she improved through her teens.

=====
Ven

.......... almost everyone is boring some kind of reader
or other.

Pamela Dean Dyer-Bennet