Polly and Nina (FIre and Hemlock, was Hexwood

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Feb 5 07:53:30 EST 2002

Ros:

>  > > One of a great multitude!  That essay just blows me away *every* time
>>  > I read it.  I simply cannot believe all the references, allusions,
>>  > influences, organising strategies etc.....
>
>(Sorry, I've lost track of who said that!)
>
>I've obviously missed something here--what essay is this, please?

Hey Ros - my babbling.   DWJ wrote an essay called "The Heroic Ideal
- A Personal Odyssey" about the writing of Fire and Hemlock.  It was
published in The Lion and the Unicorn (a children's lit journal) -
vol. 13, no. 1 June 1989.

It is probably still available somehow or other.  Nat posted the
details a long time ago which is how I got a copy.  I could try to
summarize the essay and post it sometime, instead of just gushing
about it, if you'd like.

It'll take a day or two though - *both* kids had
computer-monopolizing-worthy assignments yesterday, which is why I
was squeezed into writing far too quickly and while far too tired
last night.  They're not fini

shed yet either.

Hallie.