On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood -- Catchup)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Feb 2 10:59:05 EST 2002

Dorian:

>  > Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pygmalion, the one Nick mentions about
>>  the man who goes to Hell to get the girl (mind is blanking again -
>>  what is that story?),
>
>Oh, Hallieeeee - hang your head in shame!  It's Orpheus going after
>Eurydice, of course!

Oh, I'm hanging!  It's hung!  I'm shamed!  (Well, I'm hanging it
heartily on the inside, ok?  I had to go *all the way* to the North
side today, and would probably have developed permanent back problems
had I literally been hanging it.  All this for a tutorial, and then
the tutor never showed.  Sigh.)

>>  bet we could come up with a bunch more.
>
>The obvious, signposted ones are the rhyme "How Many Miles to Babylon"

<whines> Well I *did* know that one.

>and "This Aye Night" (for those not familiar with it, a large chunk of
>the road to Babylon - the bit with the thorns and the Oxfam clothes -
>is straight out of a very old poem/song, basically about how what you
>do in life will have an effect on what happens to you after death.  I
>have a recording of it somewhere, by Pentangle or someone like that -
>it's haunting!).

We have the Pentangle version, after someone mentioned it on the list
here, but it's disappeared into Becca's room, as so many books and
CDs do...  It is wonderful.

>I'm wondering if I could make a case for "Beauty and
>the Beast", but it's late and I have a horrible cold, so I'm not going
>to try just now. :-)

Poor you!  When you feel better, if you're still inclined I'd love to
hear the case for B&tB.  Nothing comes immediately to mind, which
makes it much more interesting.

And then Paul added:

>Which is Beauty, and which is the beast?  :)

LOL!

Hallie.