On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood -- Catchup)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Feb 1 18:04:46 EST 2002

Hallie said...

> Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pygmalion, the one Nick mentions about
> the man who goes to Hell to get the girl (mind is blanking again -
> what is that story?),

Oh, Hallieeeee - hang your head in shame!  It's Orpheus going after
Eurydice, of course!

> bet we could come up with a bunch more.

The obvious, signposted ones are the rhyme "How Many Miles to Babylon"
and "This Aye Night" (for those not familiar with it, a large chunk of
the road to Babylon - the bit with the thorns and the Oxfam clothes -
is straight out of a very old poem/song, basically about how what you
do in life will have an effect on what happens to you after death.  I
have a recording of it somewhere, by Pentangle or someone like that -
it's haunting!).  I'm wondering if I could make a case for "Beauty and
the Beast", but it's late and I have a horrible cold, so I'm not going
to try just now. :-)

> I do love _Deep Secret_.

Me too.  The scenes at the con bewitched me first, but I just love
everything about it now!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian. (who bought DS in an airport bookshop, and had it read before
the plane was halfway to Tenerife!)
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"