On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood -- Catchup)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Feb 1 16:57:10 EST 2002

Melissa wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:45:58 -0000 , Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:
>
>>Hallie wrote:
>>
>>>I'd never even thought of this before, but it struck me that there's
>>>an odd little echo of the Cinderella story in DS. <snip>
>>>  And since I'm on a roll of seeing odd connections, there
>>>could also be an inside-out Sleeping Beauty reference - with her
>>>hideous nails like the thorns, only Maree *herself* cuts through
>>>them, once she's not so self-destructively unhappy.
>>
>>Do you think the horrible thorn goddess and how she's spread all through
>>Maree's computer fits this?
>
>Oooh, interesting idea, especially with Rupert cleaning out the thorns from
>the computer--the handsome prince breaking down the briar wall?  Hmmm....

Yes, but what I like about it is the way Rupert both does and doesn't
play prince to the rescue.  He's *planning* to play it with a
vengence, isn't he, until he sees Maree.  But then he really does
help her out by giving her the £100, and later as well of course.
Meanwhile, Maree is fighting her own battles (as she says) for all
she's worth.

Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pygmalion, the one Nick mentions about
the man who goes to Hell to get the girl (mind is blanking again -
what is that story?), bet we could come up with a bunch more.  I do
love _Deep Secret_.

Hallie.