DWJ dream movie

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Dec 30 13:04:38 EST 2002

Lilly said...

> "Fire and Hemlock" gets my vote as well. It would be a visually stunning
film, with a lot of neat shots. (Including the one I always see clearest in
my mind, the moment with Polly in Laurel's room and in front of the mirror,
seeing Tom's photo over her shoulder. Then realizing there was no way she
should have seen it from where she was standing.)

Yes, that was one of the "mirror scenes" I was thinking of (but you'd have
to have the prefects' room one as well, for the foreshadowing).

> But as much as I'm obsessed wi...love this book I have to think that it
could be a nightmare to script.  There's *at least* three layers to it
(allegory on growing up/fairy tale/**extremely** subtle love story); in
order to keep the layers, what do you keep in, what do you cut out, what
can't you cut out. If you hack out too much, the whole thing falls apart.

Well, I'm not a script-writer, but surely it's possible to write a
multi-layered show?  In fact, I know it is; look at "Buffy"!  (Maybe we
should get Joss Wheadon to write/direct this thing!)

> And then there's *that ending*. How could *that ending* possibly be made
accessible and sensible to a mass audience?

I'll grant you it's a difficult ending, and something might have to be added
to make it clearer.  But after all, the main thing that *I* see in it is the
idea that "if you love someone, set them free - and that means free
*forever*".  And that's not really such a hard idea to put across.  And just
think how cool the pool scene could look!

> The only real casting idea I'd have for this are Granny and Ivy. For some
reason, Granny sounds like Dame Maggie Smith as I read F&H.

Really?  I can't see her in the part at all; I see Granny as a very small
lady (isn't that stated in the text somewhere?), and the accent doesn't
really seem to fit either.  But then again, I always think of Dame Smith in
the part of Miss Jean Brodie. :-)  Another Dame, Judi Dench, though, might
be good...

>Emily Watson does crazy and/or sulky rather well; she'd make a good Ivy.

I don't think I've seen Ms. Watson in anything, so can't comment.  But your
description does make her sound good. :-)

>As for Polly, I think it'd take at least three different girls to play her.
(Polly the pre-teen, Polly the early teen, and Polly at nineteen.)

Good point; I hadn't thought of that.  Perhaps (with a dye-job!) the girl
who plays Dawn in "Buffy" could do Polly the early teen?

>Dorian suggested perhaps Orlando Bloom for Tom ; while my hormones heartily
support that idea ;) I don't know if Mr. Bloom isn't too pretty for the
part?

Well, I always see Tom as having rather fine-boned features, so I thought if
Mr. Bloom can pull off an elf, he should be able to do Tom!  But he'd need
either a dye-job or another wig, since I believe his natural hair colour is
brown.

I'm still stumped on Laurel, Nina, Leslie, the other two Pollys and
Sebastian.  Plus all the minor characters.  Anyone?

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray