Howl

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sun Dec 29 22:39:58 EST 2002

Dear DWJer's
     I've been quietly lurking since August, but now that I am officially
retired as a librarian (YAY) I may have more time to read the lists...sure
hope so.
     I hope that any of you who attend East Coast science fiction conventions
will come to the Poison Pen Press table and say 'hi' to me.  Ditto SCA
events.
     The following was sent to me by my friend Su Braviak, who sells DVDs and
stuff:
     The new film ''Hauru no Ugoku Shiro'' will based on ''Howl's Moving
Castle'' by British author Diana Wynne Jones. The story, set in a world of
science and witchcraft, describes the romance between a sorcerer called Howl
and an 18-year-old girl Sophie who was turned into a 90-year-old granny under
a spell on the eve of war.

Miyazaki initially planned only to participate in the project but has
officially decided to direct the film himself, Toho said.

''I'd like to create a magnificent depiction of the 'melodrama of war,'''
Miyazaki said in a statement.

Miyazaki and his team will begin working on the film from February at his
Studio Ghibli and are aiming to complete it by spring of 2004, the
distributor said.

"Melodrama of war"?  What melodrama of war?  gnarish...

If I had a million dollars, I think I'd like to make a movie of "Fire and
Hemlock".  Lots of great visuals, some opportunities for great music, a
little young lust...
     Devra
Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com