Merry Christmas!

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 29 16:37:47 EST 2002

> Paul asked...
>
> > Enjoying yourselves? Did you get any good presents
> this year?
> > Did you *give* any good presents this year?

I've already mentioned that I recieved two DWJs,
"Wilkins Tooth" and "Stopping for a spell", I also
recieved three other books; Robin Hobb's "Fool's
errand " and "Golden fool" and Thomas Harlan's "The
storm of heaven", but best was the set of DVDs of the
'60s TV show "The prisoner" which starred Patrick
McGoohan. I've seen a couple of episodes on video
since it was first on, but for most of it I still rely
on memory of it being on TV 35 years ago. Only Dr Who
and The Avengers from the same era stick in my mind as
well.

As for giving, I gave my wife mainly videos - 5
Marilyn Monroe movies and Lantana. The DVD of
Breakfast at Tiffanies (The kids gave her the DVD of
Gosford Park as well). plus several books - 2 on
artist Andy Goldsworthy (If you don't know him look
him up - I think he'd appeal to most list members -
his artworks are almost always simple alterations of
nature - I'll put some links to his work at the foot
of this), and Sara Douglass' Hade's Daughter.
No books for the kids this year - Kate(24) got a boxed
set of 7 Hitcock DVDs as her main present, for Sarah
(21) there was a pasta maker, a jigsaw puzzle and a
roll up mat for doing jigsaws on (The fight for the
dining table is always a problem in this house). They
also gave each other DVDs (Willow and Amelie) so we
have much TV viewing to do. One of our friends gave
Sarah a gargoyle - my sister gave her one for her 21st
so now she is starting a herd (flock?).

Some websites for Andy Goldsworthy

http://cgee.hamline.edu/see/goldsworthy/see_an_andy.html

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues97/feb97/golds.html