DWJ dream movie (was Re: OT: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - SPOILERS!)

Fri Dec 27 14:22:14 EST 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 16:43:09 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>It would probably have to be a mini-series, for the length, but I think
>"Fire and Hemlock".  It would be so cool to see the blendings of Nowhere and
>Now Here, and there are so many great visual bits - the giant in the
>supermarket, the face(s) reflected in the mirror(s), the Chinese horse, the
>newspaper monster, the fun-fair, and of course the wavery nothing-y pool at
>the end.

I so agree.  In fact, most of DWJ's books I'd prefer to see as
miniseries(es?) because I wouldn't want to lose any of the story in the
necessary editing for a movie.  And I also think her books have a lot of
naturally occurring crisis points before the end, so you could serialize
them without making it seem forced.  _The Ogre Downstairs_ would make a
great *movie* though.  When I read it the first time, my literal-minded
child-self believed it was a REAL ogre...but then Jacob read it to the kids
last year and as I listened in I couldn't stop laughing, it was so funny!  I
don't know how I missed it the first time around.  Except for the
literal-mindedness, of course.

>I've not much idea who you could cast, though; I don't watch enough movies
>or television.  If he could do the accent, Orlando Bloom *might* work for
>Tom,

I think he could do the part, but his face is just so young-looking.
Especially when he's not wearing the Legolas wig.

>and with a bit of weight on him "Cancer Man" from the X-Files might do
>Morton Leroy.

Ooooh, I'm with you there.  He is a creepy guy.  :)

I don't know anymore.  I mean, after LoTR I think I know nothing about
casting.  Seriously, who looked at Viggo Mortensen--blond, crewcut, dimply
chin, Mister-Clean-Cut, and thought "Hey, look, it's ARAGORN!"  And yet he
is, down to the last molecule.  I just don't have that kind of vision.

I'd really like to see _Hexwood_ done.  (That reminds me.  I did end up
giving that one away at our reading group book exchange, and the person who
got it both knew who DWJ was and was excited because she hadn't read it.
Yay me.)  But I would be afraid to see it done poorly.

Melissa Proffitt