OT: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - SPOILERS!

Michelle Thomas michellet at thecreativepartnership.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 10:27:41 EST 2002

On 20/12/02 2:20 pm, "Kyla Tornheim" <kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Michelle Thomas wrote:
>
>> I'm really hoping that New Line will have a limited theatrical release of
>> the extended editions of all three movies.
>
> Ooh, that'd be nifty. I saw the extended version of Fellowship a couple of
> weeks ago, and I really think the extra bits, short though they were, made
> a huge difference.

It really did, especially the Lorien section and the gifts.

>> Fellowship I thought captured the spirit of the novel and kept most of the
>> important detail, as well as working well as an exciting film.
>
> Definitely yes. I know lots of people who were disappointed about Tom
> Bombadil

I wasn't actually! Its one of the bits that works ok in the book but would
just be laughable on screen.

> And what was with Aragorn's near-death experience and vision of Arwen? And
> what was with Arwen even *being* in this movie? Actually...my friends who
> have read the book think that Arwen shouldn't have been in the movie. A
> friend who hasn't read the book said "who's this new blonde chick? [Eowyn]
> She should go away. But Arwen's bit was great!"

I'm just hoping that when the third film is released everything will make
sense. Eowyn of course is going to have lots to do in the next film.  I
didn't actually mind the bits when Aragorn was dreaming of Arwen, as it
helped to reinforce the idea of their bond, and apparently in the appendix
it says that she watched over him from afar.  But what bugged me was all the
stuff about leaving Middle-Earth.  As far as I know, she spends the whole of
the book embroidering in Rivendell, not going to the Grey Havens.  They've
made Elrond a lot more bitter too, he is Aragorn's distant cousin and his
foster father but he seems to have no affection for or sympathy for poor
Aragorn.

Mind you, how would the relationship between a thousand year old elf and a
normal bloke work?:)

Despite my quibbling I am still going to see it again in the cinema.

Michelle