Pierce - Lady Knight

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 19 15:12:33 EST 2002

While I've not read any of these books I wonder if the
attitute to magic you describe could be compared to
(in part) the attitudes people in our world have to,
say, nuclear energy, evolution or astrology (to chose
a few things that people react to on an emotional
rather than a rational level).
I've just read the third of Dart-Thornton's
Bitterbynde books - "the battle of evernight" and
found it quite interesting. I found the Australianism
less jarring - only one still annoyed - but her
writing style seems to have completely changed. It is
as if she has used the money she made from books 1 and
2 to buy a very large dictionary. her writing is now
so florid it makes Jack Vance look positively plain.
The ending was
....different....interesting....unusual. Anyone else
read it?
Today is the last day of school here before the five
week summer holidays. I've finally been able to get
the complete Wind on Fire series of Nicholson for the
school library so I've got them home to read over the
hols, plus a couple of Sally O's books.

Jon Noble (in holiday mode already)