plea for info: romance novels

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Sat Dec 14 19:11:26 EST 2002

Thanks for the advice. I think (more for map-space reasons than
sense) we're going with Houston for the Romance Writers of America
(largest genre-writing group in the world at 8000 members). Toronto
for Harlequin World HQ was a close second, but it would mean ditching
Niagara Falls, which would be just plain wrong...

Thanks again, all
Nat

At 2:28 PM +0000 12/14/02, hallieod at indigo.ie wrote:
>>OK, I'm up against a deadline and need some advice:
>>
>>I'm helping pull together our new title, a map-format publication
>>about romance -- its cultural history, geography, and other
>>thematic variants. This thing has been in production since last
>>spring, and the editors managed to forget about romance novels
>>until the middle of the afternoon today, and of course now we are
>>down to needing something this weekend... So, I thought I'd try my
>>literary friends and see if anything comes up...
>>
>>I am looking for a point, a place, which can be tied to the
>>development of the modern romance novel. Toronto, headquarters of
>>Harlequin Books is one idea. We already have Green Gables. Any
>>others? Any help is welcomed...
>>
>>Desperately yours,
>
>Oh, what an unenviable job!  I can't think this is going to be of
>much help, but you said you were desperate, and maybe someone else
>will think it's so stupid that it'll trigger a better idea or two.
>Haworth, Yorkshire, for the Brontes.  And London for all the
>regencies/historicals which revolve around doing the Season in
>London.  Georgette Heyer wrote quite a few with this element, and
>she was enormously influential in romance, to the best of my limited
>knowledge anyway.  And  Byron arguably did his romantic worst in the
>London scene, and where would romance be without the Byronic hero?
>(Better off, IMHO, but that is definitely not to the point.)  Maybe
>even Bath,  for Jane Austen (Catherine Morland and Anne Eliot), who
>wasn't a romance writer, but could again be said to be influential -
>Bridget Jones Diary being one of the more recent examples?

Hallie.