deep secret - new US edition + i'm back

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Dec 9 07:48:56 EST 2002

Christian wrote:

>i'd unsubscribed from the DWJ list for the past few months because
>i'd been busy with various things going on in my life. but now
>things have settled down a bit so i thought i'd resubscribe.

Hey, welcome back!  (Only barely here myself, but never mind.)

[snip]

>deep secret spoilers below

>first up, every instance of damn is now "darn."
>
>in the book, rupert remarks that his brothers used to call him a "a
>little shit." it's "a little brat" and loses much of its comedy.
>
>after maree is stripped by gram white, rupert picks her up and says
>it's one of the most "sensual" experiences he has ever had. in the
>new edition, it's "extraordinary."

Actually, it's one of the most "sexual" experiences. I was telling
the girls about this, and pretty much quoted your message on the
changes (I'd have thought it was sensual too) and Becca said "It's
not sensual, it's sexual."  I would have lost money on it, had I not
backed-down quickly. ;-)   Never let it be said my children aren't
being brought up knowing their DWJ!

>worst change, i think: after maree is stripped, rupert tells janine
>that someone has stapled six rabbit testicles to her left breast. (i
>think that's right.) in the new version, it's "six rabbit turds to
>your shirt."
>
>there were a few others i can't remember.

Wasn't there a lot of f-ing and blinding going on between Ted Mallory
and Thurless as well?  That  chopped?

I'm just flabbergasted by this.  It's got to be the most stupid,
pointless, idiotic...  Well, you all know.  Why on earth did they
feel it was necessary - either to aim it at YA audience OR to make
those changes to do so?  Only reason I can figure for the first is
that kids fantasy is possibly seen as selling even more than adults,
though that's probably wrong.  And the second is just totally
incomprehensible - are US markets different from UK/Irish ones or
isn't there much "worse" in YA than a few words like "damn", and
"shit"?  If I *were* going to censor it for kids (which I wouldn't!),
I'd dim down the description of the murder of the kids a bit, not
worry about the language.

Hallie.