Sara Douglass

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 22:47:17 EDT 2002

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:
> I wrote
> >Then after that have another Aussie fantasy
> waiting.
> >The third of Sara Douglass's books about the Angels
> >set in the period that in our world was the 100
> years
> >war but in her condensed history looks like being
> the
> >10 years war. One character is a combined Henry IV,
> >and VI. This doesn't worry me at all as she can
> write
> >a novel set in our history without the reader
> knowing
> >what is going to happen to characters because it's
> not
> >exactly our history - just a very similer one that
> >ends up the same while taking a slightly diferent
> >route to get there.
>
> Douglass is an author I find unreadable. Which is a
> pity, because I know
> her research is supposed to be good (she teaches
> medieval history at
> Warnambool or somewhere equally obscure). I just
> find the prose really hard
> to plow through. Can anyone convince me it is worth
> the effort?
>
> Robyn

I'm now about to start "Crippled angel" My wife loves
Sara Douglass, and she tends to be more critical than
me, however my daughter has tried several times and
been unable to finish anything of hers. I was
sauprising pleased with her Axis series despite what
are some of the least interesting titles in fantasy
(Battleaxe, Enchanter and Star Man) and have really
enjoyed the crucible trilogy of which "Crippled angel"
is the third volume. One thing that is pleasing
(except financially) is to see a local fantasy author
hitting the bestseller lists here with a hardcover
novel. With Gillian Rubenstein's "Across the
nightingail floor" getting huge publicity as well
(anyone read this one yet?) local fantasy seems to be
doing well. Any comments from your perspective Sally?