e-books

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 27 15:01:33 EDT 2002

>I'm probably the last person who should attempt to answer this, as I'm
>very ignorant, but I'd always assumed I'd never be interested in
>ebooks.  But reading the two short stories from fictionwise which Tarja
>recommended (downloaded in adobe pdf format, I think)  made me rethink my
>attitude enough to read a thread about this on rasfw with interest. Seems
>as if the majority of people who are converted to ebook reading have all
>started out with the same "not for me" attitude!  I haven't checked this
>out, so I'm not sure of the accuracy of my info, but Baen seems to be way
>ahead of most other publishers.  The ability to read Bujold's books right
>as they're published, and then pick up a pb when it's reasonably priced is
>*very* tempting indeed.  (Mind you, I haven't priced the newer readers...)

I have had an aversion to reading fiction online, because I have been
reading a lot of stuff that I edit (theses, primarily) online. So I kind of
view it as a work, rather than pleasure medium.

My main issue with it is a visual one, because I wear glasses and reading
can be tiring at the best of times, I find reading books generally easier.
Of course this depends on the technology; if you can change print size and
font, then maybe this is a plus. I am waiting for a better reading surface
before I invest.

Robyn