Annoying hero

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Tue Aug 27 07:26:01 EDT 2002

Hi all, the holiday is over (alas.)
Robyn wrote last week and I just have to reply now I've seen it :)
>I think because heros act and we don't get their stupid inner dialogue; so
>even when they make stupid choices, we aren't forced through the reasoning
>process, and 99% of the time they are thrillingly extricating themselves,
>so the stupidity part is camouflaged. I'm thinking here about say,
>Dunnett's heros who very rarely provide internal dialogue, and are always
>getting bizarrely injured and doing daring things. Heroines reflect, but
>sometimes not deeply enough, so it is frustrating, and there are no
>swordfights.

I like Margery Allingham's Campion books, which are mostly done with an
external narrator (or whatever the term is); but I've just read Traitor's
Purse, where the narration is from the POV of a guy who wakes up with
amnesia. Since we normally just see Campion's actions, having somebody who
finds out gradually what he's like and has very definite opinions on him is
amusing.
I tend to find TV characters more annoying with ones in books- I mutter
"Don't be so *stupid*" at the screen, but I think with books I may get too
into the character and not notice things that they don't notice, if you see
what I mean. So I tend to pick up irritating things on rereads rather than
first reads.
Jennifer