NOT a plug (was: Re: Emma Bull & Martha Wells & others)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Aug 25 21:44:14 EDT 2002

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Robyn Starkey wrote:

> >Oh, I agree that'd be great!  Maybe we should write and suggest it. I read
> >an interview with Joan Aiken in which she told how she'd intended for Dido
> >to be dead after Black Hearts, but a fan wrote asking her to keep Dido,
> >and as the publishers lost the address, there was no way to reply, except
> >to write the next book with Dido in it.
>
> I totally don't believe this. I think Aiken must have wanted to keep Dido
> secretly, too. Because I bet she doesn't treat every fan letter that seriously.
I'm with Robyn on this one. If she'd meant Dido to be dead, then we the
readers should have known Dido was definitely dead. It's like in Star
Trek--if the character's not dead and buried, there's still a chance for
resurrection--and sometimes even if there *is* a burial. Also, then she
would have written another book with Simon as the main character, because
who would there be otherwise if Dido were dead?