Systems of Magic

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 25 21:32:56 EDT 2002

>The problem with most mechanical magic systems is that it's simply about
>the application of power.  You do the right dance, you have the right
>materials, you speak or sing the right incantation, you have a
>sufficient reservior of magic-power, and zap!  I hated the magic system
>in "The Soprano Sorceress" because it removed the beauty from music.
>Nobody can actually make beautiful music, because all songs invoke
>magic.  Our Heroine goes around singing doggerel and it zaps things.

I hated the system of magic because it was so damn stupid, and yet the
author and the heroine went on and on and on about how HARD it was to make
up the pathetic doggerel to tunes she already knew. Totally unbelievable.
Well, at least in my household where everybody makes up silly songs (with
original tunes) all the time. My 2 year old can make up songs.

Robyn