Systems of Magic

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Sat Aug 24 20:02:18 EDT 2002

This is something I never used to think about. Some books were magical,
others had magic in them, and that was that. Narnia was magic - but people,
or most people - didn't go around casting spells. In fact, only bad people
cast spells. Aslan's 'magic' was, of course, something altogether different.
And The Hobbit and LotR were similar - the 'magic' was in the book and the
land and the characters - actual spells were few and  far between and
involved deeper, higher and darker forces. (The 'magic' of myths and sagas
and fairytales, I suppose). I've always had a few reservations about books
in which magic is constantly being flung about by any- and everyone (not
that this has stopped me reading). But events, books and discussions have
made me thoughtful lately, and I was wondering: What are the most common (or
the wierdest) 'systems of magic' in fantasy?

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au