Disagreements! was Re re re recomended books

Wed Aug 21 23:09:30 EDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:56:58 -0700 (PDT), Ven wrote:

>Melissa wrote:

><  There are some books that clearly
>say "you'll only like me if
>you like ponies!" or knights or superheroes or
>whatever.  And some of them
>are even well-written, quality books.  But I
>think there's something a
>little richer about a book that can bring
>together people of different
>minds.  It certainly makes for a better
>discussion.>
>
>There's a converse to this that if a writer is
>good enough or you like them enough you will read
>it even if it's about something that normally
>turns you off -- like Stan Robinson when he
>writes about people climbing things.

Yes, exactly.  I feel this way about most of Jane Smiley's books--for
example, I don't care for horse stories, but I loved her _Horse Heaven_
because she's such an engaging writer.  If that book had depended upon the
reader's intrinsic love of horses and/or racing, I likely wouldn't have been
interested.  I'm glad I ended up reading that one.

Melissa Proffitt