Annoying heroines (was Re: Cecilia Dart-Thornton)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Aug 20 09:43:49 EDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 10:42:59AM +1000, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
> Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> > life went on back then...filling in the gaps in my own education.  Though
> > know what you mean about annoying heroines--this one wasn't annoying to
> me,
> > but heaven knows there have been others, and they have ruined some
> otherwise
> > excellent books.
>
> I haven't read the book, so I don't know what makes this particular heroine
> so aggravating - but what are the factors, features that generally make a
> heroine annoying? And why are heros less often so?

I dunno, the most annoying protagonists that I've encountered were both
written by Steven Donaldson.  Thomas Covenant was a really annoying
protagonist, he behaved so badly in the first trilogy.  But actually
Donaldson's annoying female protagonist was even *more* annoying, and
that was the heroine in the Mordant's Need duology.  I mean it's stupid
enough for Covenant to be saying "this all doesn't exist"(*), but it's
three times as stupid to be saying "*I* don't exist", but that's what this
heroine (I can't even remember her name) did.  I gave up on Donaldson
after that.  One really can't read a book when one wishes to give the
main character a thorough shake -- constantly.

(*) After reading that trilogy, I swore a vow that if ever, by some
convergence of impossibilities, I ended up somewhere that couldn't
possibly exist, that I didn't think was real, yea, verily, e'en were I
convinced of my own insanity -- I swore that I would still behave
morally, so far as I could perceive what a righteous action might be.
What Covenant did at the start of that trilogy was inexcusable.  Grr.

Kathryn Andersen