F & H, and retroactive magic

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 09:14:17 EDT 2002





Lost track of who said what here, but I must jump in...

>>>One query, re Tom in effect giving Polly the ability to know things by
> "making it up". He doesn't say this until the meeting in Bristol, but Polly
> has always been able to know things, more or less instinctively, from very
> early in the book.<<
>
> Ah, but he AGREES to the fantasy stories that Polly comes up with. That's
> what sets them in motion. And gives Tom the impression that it is Polly who
> is doing it, when in fact it is HE who is facilitating their breakthroughs
> into Here Now. Plus, the two of them really are working on much the same wave
> length. Which enables her to make several quite genuine leaps to the truth
> without having to have them vetted by Tom first. Because these are things
> where she has simply jumped to the same conclusion that Tom also has even
> without consultation with him first.

I'm afraid I disagree here.

If we trust Polly's gift from later in the book, she "knows" that Laurel's gift
to Tom was conveyed through the pictures, and that she helped things by getting
him good pictures instead of poor ones.

So unless the gift is retroactive, Polly's gift of knowing is her own until Tom
receives the pictures.

This means that when Polly is first getting to know Tom, the things that she
knew then ("Tom, Tom the piper's son" "My father used to play the flute
professionally") are evidence that Polly does have this gift independently of
Laurel.

> Of, course once he actually states this belief aloud, he locks it in solidly.
> From Bristol on Polly really IS making free use of one of Laurel's gifts.

This would certainly reinforce Polly's gift.  But I don't think that Tom is
entirely responsible.

I also think that retroactive magic must be explicit.  In Witch Week, for
example, it took a lot of magic to undo, retroactively, the damage that had been
done to that world in the 17th century, and they were explicitly trying to undo
a historical event.  So here, Tom would have to have said something "Polly has
_always_ had the gift of knowing things" for it to have an effect on her so
early in the book (assuming that his gift can work retroactively at all).

Just my two pen'orth.

Philip.







**********************************************************************
This message and any attachments are confidential and should only be
read by those to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact us, delete the message from your computer
and destroy any copies.  Any distribution or copying without our prior
permission is prohibited.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the
Powergen Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message.
The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before
acting on the contents.  Any views or opinions presented are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the 
Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970
**********************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at suberic.net with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at http://suberic.net/dwj/list/



More information about the Dwj mailing list