Annoying heroines (was Re: Cecilia Dart-Thornton)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 20 02:19:10 EDT 2002

>I haven't read the book, so I don't know what makes this particular heroine
>so aggravating - but what are the factors, features that generally make a
>heroine annoying? And why are heros less often so?

I think because heros act and we don't get their stupid inner dialogue; so
even when they make stupid choices, we aren't forced through the reasoning
process, and 99% of the time they are thrillingly extricating themselves,
so the stupidity part is camouflaged. I'm thinking here about say,
Dunnett's heros who very rarely provide internal dialogue, and are always
getting bizarrely injured and doing daring things. Heroines reflect, but
sometimes not deeply enough, so it is frustrating, and there are no
swordfights. I think frustration is the main source of the wanting to smack
someone problem. Eg romance heroines who deliberately misunderstand the
actions of the leading man, usually including in their internal dialogue
pseudo-questions like "am I being to hasty?" which leave the reader
bellowing "YES"!

Robyn