F&H and retrospective magic

Kale kaledann at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 00:35:39 EDT 2002

--- Kathleen Jennings <s368333 at student.uq.edu.au>
wrote:

*snip*

> this apply to the laws of magic. Can magic operate
> retrospectively?  It's
> one thing to magically KNOW something that has
> always been, but can someone,
> at a definite point in time, CREATE something that
> has always been?

This reminds me of Neil Gaiman's story, "A Dream of a
Thousand Cats" from the Sandman: Dreams Country
graphic novel compilation.  It's about how cats used
to rule the earth, until one day, a man started
preaching to the humans about how, if they all dream
the same dream, they can reshape the world.

"So they dreamed the world into the form it is now?"

"Not exactly .  They dreamed the world so it ALWAYS
WAS the way it is now....They changed the universe
from the beginning of all things, until the end of
time."

I don't have a problem with retroactive magic.  I feel
like I should be able to come up with more examples,
but I can't off the top of my head.

Kale