_Household Gods_ (was Re: Cecilia Dart-Thornton)

Mon Aug 19 20:31:07 EDT 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:28:56 +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Jon said...

>> I've just started reading "Household Gods" by
>> Turtledove and Tarr which is looking promising, This
>> is a historical novel, with a very minor fantasy
>> element so far, in which a modern woman ends up in
>> Roman times, The point seems to be that "the past is a
>> foreign country - they do things differently there",
>> so far the only book I've ever read that really
>> captured this was Shogun.
>
>I read that recently, and spent most of the book wanting to smack some sense
>into the heroine.  Can anyone *really* be that ignorant of history, and so
>stupid as to insist on applying their own standards to what is so obviously
>a very different world?

Yes.  And yes, again.  I think of some of the people I know, perfectly nice
people who aren't in my usual circle, and any one of them would behave like
this if they went into the past.  There's one or two from my church who
would have been even worse about the whole "no alcohol for kids" thing in
the book than the heroine was.  In general I think most people aren't
interested in history unless it's popularized, and are so caught up in their
daily routine that they live unexamined lives.

I read _Household Gods_ a while ago, so my memory is pretty vague, but I
think overall I found it interesting to keep reading, not as good as others
of its kind, but not horribly annoying.

>In many ways, the book seemed to me to be a thinly
>disguised social history lesson - though, when I wasn't wanting to smack the
>heroine, a very interesting one.

I know just what you mean.  I was mainly interested in the details of *how*
life went on back then...filling in the gaps in my own education.  Though I
know what you mean about annoying heroines--this one wasn't annoying to me,
but heaven knows there have been others, and they have ruined some otherwise
excellent books.

Melissa Proffitt