Cecilia Dart-Thornton

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Mon Aug 19 20:04:04 EDT 2002

> I read that recently, and spent most of the book wanting to smack some
sense
> into the heroine.  Can anyone *really* be that ignorant of history, and so
> stupid as to insist on applying their own standards to what is so
obviously
> a very different world?

People - intelligent people - do that with "vintage" children's books. And
when comparing apples with cheese.

My ire was recently raised when reading an article about romance fiction, in
which a cynical man was converted to romance fiction by his wife... the
problem was that the book that converted him was These Old Shades. And that
doesn't follow the modern romance fiction guidelines! It's like reading the
Top Ten Romance Fiction and finding Gone with the Wind and Romeo and Juliet
on it - they're not valid choices because they're not romance fiction in the
modern sense.

Sallyo.