F&H and retrospective magic

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 19 19:53:02 EDT 2002

At 11:13 PM 19/08/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> writes
>
> >I thought one of the cleverest things about the Dawn plotline was the
> >plausibility of the idea that she HAD existed all along, but wasn't an
> >important enough part of Buffy's life to be included in the show (that, and
> >being kept out of the way).
> >
>Hmmm. Having re-watched a lot of season 1 and 2 Buffy when it was
>repeated on BBC2, I can't quite buy into that. Dawn just seems to to be
>'absent' from too many pivotal events (many at the Summers home). And
>remember, when she 'appears,' she knows everything about Buffy's slaying
>activities, her love-life, she's acquainted with all Buffy's fellow-
>fighters..

I'm not saying you can read back into the series totally that she is there
when you rewatch; just that at the time it was *plausible*. That's what
made it a good twist. Personally I think Dawn got annoyingly banal in the
last series, here's hoping she will either get more interesting or die in
the next one.

Robyn