I Capture the Castle

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Aug 19 14:41:57 EDT 2002

In a message dated 8/18/2002 9:40:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> "" <amaebi at iwon.com>
> Subject: Original version: I capture the castle
>
> Helen said:
>
> > Probably just as well that there was never a sequel to
> > _Castle_, though the original version was much longer, and I
> > would love to see it someday
>
> Welcome back, Helen!
>
> Could you explain what you mean by "the original version"? I only know of
> one.

The one she wrote. It was cut way way down for publication. My guess is that
the editor (I think it was the editor who said she should cut it) was
perfectly right (since the finished product doesn't appear to be missing
anything and its proportions are good, I think), but I would love to see all
the extra bits. Don't even know if the original MS still exists, though.

I read about it in one of her autobiographical volumes, I think.

Helen Schinske