F&H and retrospective magic

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Mon Aug 19 06:26:25 EDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 09:44:21AM +0100, Michelle Thomas wrote:

> > This next questions starts from F&H but isn't really about it. In Australia,
> > it is unconstitutional for  laws to operate retrospectively. But how does
> > this apply to the laws of magic. Can magic operate retrospectively?  It's
> > one thing to magically KNOW something that has always been, but can someone,
> > at a definite point in time, CREATE something that has always been? I
> > suppose there'd be a fair tangling up of Here Now and Nowhere for this to
> > happen. Certainly time-travel stories dabble in this. Any thoughts/ideas
>
> An example of this is in Buffy The Vampire Slayer where monks use magic to
> retrospectively create Dawn, Buffy's sister.

I think the word is more properly "retroactively", not
"retrostpectively".

But with Dawn, did they actually retroactively create her, or did they
just alter everyone's memories?

You have another example in Buffy where Johnathan casts the spell to
make himself "perfect", and Adam isn't affected, because he's part
computer, or something like that.

Kathryn Andersen