F&H and retrospective magic

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Aug 19 01:58:01 EDT 2002

> That was me. It's my personal site.
Thanks for that.
It just struck me the third time through how late in the piece it actually
is when Tom says Polly has this gift, and how many things she knew before
then - not the fantasy, but the reality. Polly is forever getting feelings,
suspecting things  about people, realising what people are like.

> Of, course once he actually states this belief aloud, he locks it in
solidly.
> From Bristol on Polly really IS making free use of one of Laurel's gifts.
Agreed.

This next questions starts from F&H but isn't really about it. In Australia,
it is unconstitutional for  laws to operate retrospectively. But how does
this apply to the laws of magic. Can magic operate retrospectively?  It's
one thing to magically KNOW something that has always been, but can someone,
at a definite point in time, CREATE something that has always been? I
suppose there'd be a fair tangling up of Here Now and Nowhere for this to
happen. Certainly time-travel stories dabble in this. Any thoughts/ideas

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au