Evil plan progresses

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Sun Aug 18 04:22:30 EDT 2002

I've now inflicted F&H on a friend, who loved it. She said it was wierder
than Homeward Bounders, and more mentally exhausting. I agree, third time
through it is all (mostly) clear - and I caught the word play of "riding in
Laurel's train".
Thanks for the link to the essay on F&H and on Beauty&the beast - I've
deleted the email with the link in, so I can't thank you by name. Would
someone mind, if possible, forwarding that to me again, please?
One query, re Tom in effect giving Polly the ability to know things by
"making it up". He doesn't say this until the meeting in Bristol, but Polly
has always been able to k now things, more or less instinctively, from very
early in the book. Admittedly, some of his "truth-telling" seems to  operate
retrospectively... or does it? The giant appears in the supermarket roughly
the time the story is first made up, and the Pipers moved to
Stow-on-the-Water fairly contemporaneously. Everything else comes true
*after* the story has been made up.
Ann Abraham's gift for memory, however, is one which Polly recognises... and
it is this recognition which prompts Tom to say that Polly's gift is knowing
things. Even if he has realised this earlier, I don't  think he was
responsible for Polly's gift.  From very early on, Polly is always realising
things or suspecting things.
Any thoughts? Or is this something that has already been discussed and I
should search the archives for (when the uni lets me access the net again)?
Kathleen

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au