Cecilia Dart-Thornton

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sat Aug 17 19:43:16 EDT 2002

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 05:42:40PM +0000, mecha godscylla wrote:

> Recently I read this author's "The Ill-Made Mute" and "The Lady of
> Sorrows." I enjoyed them a lot. Has anyone else read them?

I read "The Ill-Made Mute" and found it... ill-made.  I just couldn't
get into the universe; it felt like a patchwork of incompatible ideas,
with the stitches still showing.  On the one hand, you had these nifty
original ideas about things like the "ghost wind" (I forget its proper
name, and I can't look it up since I don't have a copy to check any
more) and things like the anti-gravity metal, which were cool and
inventive, and, well, *scientific* -- and then you have all the
Old-World Fay Folk tacked on to this, which have no rhyme or reason to
them, and it just ended up feeling like a mish-mash.  No, I'm not saying
that I object to Old-World Fay Folk and the mystery thereof -- that can
be cool too.  But they're cool in a completely incompatible way.
So it didn't work for me at all.

And it didn't really help that I couldn't understand why she fell for
Thorn either.

Kathryn Andersen