Roleplaying, was RE: I'm back!

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Aug 16 19:58:42 EDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 03:27:49PM -0400, Rebecca Ganetzky wrote:
> So how many is it?  Those of you that do it, did you get introduced to the
> world of RPGs through fantasy?  If not do you feel they're connected?
> Anyone want to give an estimate on the percent of sf/f readers who
> role-play...or vice versa?

I used to play AD&D when I was at Uni, with a bunch of people from the
Games club; I probably found the Games club in Orientation week, since
that's usually when various student clubs trotted out their stuff and
waved their flags.  I basically gave up RPG because I didn't really like
playing the role of a character in a pantheistic universe when I was a
monotheist; it forced habits of thought on me that I didn't agree with.
Which probably means I wouldn't mind playing something like Traveller,
but it's probably just as well that I don't know any gaming groups now,
because I just don't have the time!

As for the relation between that and SF&F, I'd been an SF&F bookworm
since Primary school...

Kathryn Andersen