Titles (was Re: report on recommended reading)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Wed Aug 14 07:09:40 EDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:59:12AM +0300, Liina Poropudas wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Caleb W wrote:
>
> > Through the Looking-Glass, Darkly. I can't remember whether I've actually
> > heard this somewhere and forgotten or made it up myself. Anyone heard it
> > before?
>
> I wonder if you meant Jostein Gaarder's 'Through a glass, darkly'? It's a
> story a about a dying child who has conversations with an angel. I read it
> a few years ago.
>
> My feelings about Gaarder's books are a bit mixed, but I think I rather
> liked this one, although I must say I do prefer the title to the book.
>
> However, I have the nagging feeling that there are some other books by
> almost the same name. Comments, anyone?-)

"through a glass, darkly" is actually a partial quote from the Bible,
thus it's no great surprise that more than one author has used it in a
title.

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I
know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."
        -- 1 Corinthians 13:12 (KJV)

If one knows what it's alluding to, it renders the title more
meaningful.

Kathryn Andersen