Titles (was Re: report on recommended reading)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Aug 14 04:59:03 EDT 2002

>> Through the Looking-Glass, Darkly. I can't remember whether I've actually
>> heard this somewhere and forgotten or made it up myself. Anyone heard it
>> before?
>
> I wonder if you meant Jostein Gaarder's 'Through a glass, darkly'? It's a
> story a about a dying child who has conversations with an angel. I read it
> a few years ago.
>
> My feelings about Gaarder's books are a bit mixed, but I think I rather
> liked this one, although I must say I do prefer the title to the book.
>
> However, I have the nagging feeling that there are some other books by
> almost the same name. Comments, anyone?-)

I'm sure I've come across some, although the only one that springs to mind is
Asimov's "Through a Glass, Clearly".

The phrase comes from one of the traditional translations (King James
Authorised?) of 1 Corinthians 13:12.  St Paul was trying to compare our senses
and perceptions in this life with those of the perfect afterlife, and he wrote
something like "we see darkly, as in a mirror", so the "glass" of the
traditional translations really is a looking-glass.  Paul, however, presumably
had a metal mirror in mind, neither as smooth nor as reflective even as the
looking-glasses available to the 17th century translators...

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970