Titles (was Re: report on recommended reading)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 00:52:38 EDT 2002

How about;

Do androids dream of electric sheep? (Dick)

The island of Dr Death and other stories and other
stories (Wolfe)

The day it rained forever (Bradbury)

If the stars are gods (Benford)

The moon is a harsh mistress (Heinlein)

The man who pulled down the sky (Barnes)

The eighty-minute hour (Aldiss)

Neuromancer (Gibson)

The doors of his face, the lamps of his mouth
(Zelazny)

The Barbie murders (Varley)

We in some strange powers employ, move on a rigorous
line (Delany)

To your scattered bodies go (Farmer)

I have no mouth and I must scream (Ellison)

While some of these are short stories rather than
novels they all the titles of books. I also like
Charles Grant's Kent Montana series titles (writing as
Lionel Fenn);

Kent Montana and the really ugly thing from Mars

.... and the reasonably invisible man

....and the mark of the moderately viscious vampire

....and the once and future thing

and, best of all

668, the neighbour of the beast.

Finally - and we have some recomended reading here as
well if people are unfamiliar with them;

Souls in the great machine

and

Eyes of the calculator

by Sean McMullen. (there is a third title that comes
between these two but "The miocene arrow" isn't such a
catchy title, although it's a good read). These books
should appeal especially to Australians, Librarians
and computer buffs (which I think covers most of the
list). His post-apocalyptic Australia run by
librarians who build a computer comprising humans with
abacuses rather than electronic components and a
heliographic internet is just a wonderful concept -
great characters too.

Jon Noble

"Personally I think swords are elegant and humane
weapons, but librarians have been shooting each other
for centuries and old traditions die hard."  Sean
McMullen - Eyes of the calculator