Titles (was: Re: report on recommended reading)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 06:03:05 EDT 2002

>> I haven't read it, but "To Say Nothing of the Dog" is a really good title. I
>> think people underestimate the power of titles sometimes, but there are some
>> wonders out there: "A Brief History of Time" is one that *should* belong to
>> the best of speculative fiction, but Terry Pratchett elbows a few onto the
>> list now and then: Carpe Jugulum, The Fifth Elephant.
>
> Yes.  I quite agree here, although I wouldn't necessarily select the same
> titles.  Oddly enough, I can't offhand think of any really good F or SF titles

Needless to say, I thought of some soon afterward.

I have sometimes suspected Dick King-Smith of thinking of a good title and then
writing the book to go with it.  Sometimes it's a good book ("The Fox-Busters"),
sometimes it isn't so good ("Dodos are Forever", "How Green was my Mouse").  But
"Dodos are Forever" is still a great title.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970