Titles (was Re: report on recommended reading)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Thu Aug 8 06:10:57 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 09:10:29AM +0100, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:
> titles.  Oddly enough, I can't offhand think of any really good F or SF titles
> to add to this list, but I will cite the only textbook I ever bought on the
> strength of a catchy title (I'm reading it at the moment, even though it's not
> my subject):
>
> Archaeology:  The Science of Once and Future Things.

That reminds me of a book on a similar subject, which I also consider to
have a cool title (expecially when you realize that it is actually a
serious academic work): "I Studied Inscriptions From Before The Flood".

But, to get back to SF&F titles (and not just of books), here's a few
that stand out, I think:

The Man Who Was Thursday (G.K. Chesterton)
The Napoleon of Notting Hill (Chesterton again)
The Left-Handed Hummingbird (Kate Orman)
Return of the Living Dad (Kate Orman) (well, if you consider The Fifth
Elephant notable...)
Intelligent Listening for Beginners (an episode of Star Cops, a series
which had a *terrible* series-title, but had excellent content)
Don't Bite The Sun (Tanith Lee)
Kill the Dead (Tanith Lee)
The Lathe of Heaven (Ursula Le Guin)
Dreamfall (Joan Vinge)
True Names and Other Dangers (Vernor Vinge)

Kathryn Andersen