report on recommended reading

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 04:10:29 EDT 2002

>>haven't read Passage myself, but other ones I've enjoyed, like "To Say
>>Nothing of the Dog" and "Belwether", I don't feel any great desire to

Oh dear.  The one Connie Willis that I have that I re-read the most is Passage.
And I think Hallie (to whom many thanks) has now found me my own copy of
Bellwether, something I've been looking for for ages, ever since she first lent
me hers and I read it three times over almost without stopping, in fact...

> I haven't read it, but "To Say Nothing of the Dog" is a really good title. I
> think people underestimate the power of titles sometimes, but there are some
> wonders out there: "A Brief History of Time" is one that *should* belong to
> the best of speculative fiction, but Terry Pratchett elbows a few onto the
> list now and then: Carpe Jugulum, The Fifth Elephant.

Yes.  I quite agree here, although I wouldn't necessarily select the same
titles.  Oddly enough, I can't offhand think of any really good F or SF titles
to add to this list, but I will cite the only textbook I ever bought on the
strength of a catchy title (I'm reading it at the moment, even though it's not
my subject):

Archaeology:  The Science of Once and Future Things.

(Sorry, can't remember the author)

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc, City Point, 1 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited,  Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax           +44 (0) 2476 42 5432