Reading progresses

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 7 21:50:34 EDT 2002

I've now read Eight Days of Luke. I liked it. But I find myself probing my
friends' knowledge of Norse mythology before recommending it to them ("What
do you know about a chap called Sigurd? Who are the Norns, other than in Tad
Williams?"). I sort of feel like I needed to have made an in depth study of
the myths about three years ago and then forgotten enough to be gradually
and pleasantly surprised. Which is sort of what I had done, but too long ago
and now I'm picking my brain for the details. Most of the story happens well
off the page. But the characters are wonderful - the sort of people you'd
like to know, or at least know more about.
I also reread The Magicians of Caprona (my first DWJ) and enjoyed it again.
The Chrestomanci books are, I find, much lighter and self-contained than
many of her other books (as in, you don't need to be familiar with half of
the world's mythology to get everything out of them). Best bits: Benvenuto
generally and the flying griffins. Or rather, the
hitting-the-wall-and-sliding-down-it griffin.

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au