Lathe of Heaven (SPOILERS)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Aug 2 05:39:47 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 09:24:24AM -0400, Rebecca Ganetzky wrote:

> or for that matter nearly any book I've ever read.  I have now found a book
> that, to me at least, rivals F&H in confusing endings: _Lathe of Heaven_,
> Ursula le Guin.  Now, it may be me (first le Guin book I ever read, and I
> finished it around 2 or 2:30 am) but I have been really struggling to
> figure out the ending (it doesn't help that I had to mail the book back to
> WI for my friend to pack for college the next day) So....Help?  Anyone?

Well, it's been such a long long time since I read that... and a
not-quite-as-long time since I saw the movie -- which is one of those rare
movies which had heavy author-involvement and is very true to the book,
or maybe even makes more sense than the book...

.
.
.
.
.
.
!

I seem to recall that one possible explanation of the whole thing was
that George Orr was caught in a nuclear holocaust, and the entire book
was his dying dream.  But I found that explanation rather unsatisfying,
to say the least!

Or else it's meant to explore the philisophical question of whether
reality is really real anyway...

Kathryn Andersen