Re Newest Bujold, Big Spoilers

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 1 23:46:59 EDT 2002

>There were moments where I even thought Ekaterin SOUNDED like
>Cordelia--tone, manner, words...it was a little creepy.  My biggest fear is
>that Bujold won't know how to balance two strong main characters at once, in
>later books, and we either won't see Ekaterin or she'll end up as you
>describe.  I'm hoping not.

Well, there are the twins. Either Ekaterin will end up offstage looking
after them, or Miles will, and Ekaterin will be the action protagonist.
Likelihoods? Hmmm.

I really love Bujold as an author, and can't praise her enough, but that
damn uterine replicator really creeps me out. I just cannot believe her
totally unchallenged party line that there is no perceptible difference to
the developing baby; there is plenty of medical evidence which says babies
hear heartbeats and voices and then recognise them after birth, etc. Also,
no one appears to breast feed the babies, which is another thing which goes
unspoken and unchallenged. And there is plenty of evidence that babies need
physical contact, which they don't get in the Bujold universe. It peeves me
that she doesn't even address the contradictions she sets up - there are
the parents, with their blastocyst photos, clearly developing emotional
relationships with the unborn babies, and that's important to them, but it
isn't important for the fetus to get any in utero stimulation. Baloney.

> >I want the Ivan book.
>
>Me too.

Me three.
Or even better, Mark and Ivan have an adventure.

Robyn