Arthur Upfield and Inspector Bonaparte

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 1 13:49:26 EDT 2002

Melissa enquired about Arthur Upfield, thanks for
the list of books Jon.

My Mum was a great reader of mysteries and she
introduced these to me in my teens. The only
title I remember is The Bone is Pointed -- and
that was a good one, but I must have read a dozen
at least. I was amused by the disclaimer you
quoted, Kathryn, I'd been wondering if they would
come across as terribly un PC but as I remembered
were pretty positive in the portrayal of native
Australians. In contrast did anyone else read
Edgar Wallace's Sanders of the River? Sanders was
a District Commisioner somewhere in Africa, the
locals were sometimes savage, generally comic and
always childish! Rattling good yarns of
course.......

=====
Ven