greek in ogre downstairs

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Apr 29 13:44:55 EDT 2002

Philip commented...

> > It's easy enough to translate if you have a greek/english alphabet
> > list, and bear in mind that it appears to be phonetically-spelled
> > Cockney!  (I've dispensed with the Cockney in the above!)
>
> Cockney?  Are you thinking of dropped aitches?  I think - though I
can never
> remember which aspiration mark is which - that the initial H is
actually marked
> on the appropriate vowels...

Yes, I am thinking of dropped aitches (among other things), and they
are in fact dropped.  The first line, frex, comes out phonetically as
something like "'It me on the lid agen an' see wot you get!"  Or the
"let me at them" line - it's more like "Lemme attem!".

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"