greek in ogre downstairs

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Apr 27 12:25:25 EDT 2002

Venkarel asked...

> Did anyone ever translate this segment?

Yes.  Now, of course, I can't find the notes I made...so here we go
again, from scratch.

(I'm working from the Puffin ed. of 1977 (at least, that's the latest
date I can see on the copyright page), and the "Greek" starts near the
top of p.180 and ends near the bottom of p.181.)

p.180 - 1    Hit me on the lid again and see what you get!
      - 2    Think you can hit fellows on the head, do you?
      - 3    These kids tried to thump me, fellows!
p.181 - 1    Okay, let's take both of them apart a bit.
      - 2    Let me at them.
      - 3    Full of spirit, aren't they?
      - 4    Let's go, fellows.

It's easy enough to translate if you have a greek/english alphabet
list, and bear in mind that it appears to be phonetically-spelled
Cockney!  (I've dispensed with the Cockney in the above!)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"