Gouge

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sat Apr 20 14:38:35 EDT 2002

<< Odd that it should be a pink book when Maria hated pink so much.  I liked
Henrietta's House too, though sometimes Elizabeth Goudge does lay on her
moral lessons with a trowel. >>

One of my oldest friends is mad for Gouge's childrens' books. (Her favorite
is The Valley of Song.) I think I read them all, but they were just from too
hidebound an era to really speak to me. I found them icky-sticky sweet and no
girl could imagine any other future than being a mother. (In Maria's case of
a whole blooming TRIBE.)